Thursday, December 29, 2011

Teaching Tip #36

Keep Your Door Open

Literally: Never stay in the classroom with a single student if the door is closed.  If you're teaching more than two students, then you can close it, but with all the legal issues that are on teachers these days, leave it open.  If I'm in my room alone and the door is closed, and a student comes by, I prop that door open before helping them.

Figuratively: allow your students to come in! Don't tell them they can't come during lunch or before/after school, unless you really can't.  For me, I tell the students no on Mondays and Thursdays - Mondays we have faculty meetings and Thursdays I run the Book Club. And during lunch I have duty so I just tell them to call me over.

Help is not always academic either.  Students have come to talk to me about problems they're having, which I welcome completely.  That's me as a person, but don't make the students feel like they can't trust you.

No comments:

Post a Comment