Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Teaching Tip #35

Listen to Your Students

Listen to them, and take their ideas into consideration.  Don't just ignore requests and tell them, "It's my way, deal with it."  This is a paraphrase of what happened yesterday:


(Note: S# stands for student)

S1: "Okay, so I have a proposition."

Me: "Go ahead."

S1: "OK, so...you know how tests are cumulative but we forget things?  How about you do cumulative quizzes every week instead, and make the test just for that chapter or section."

S2: "No, because what if we fail the quizzes?"

Me: "Well, I always go over them, you know that."

S1: "And it wouldn't matter since it would come up more often, and we'd get more grades.  So the one failure wouldn't even count."

Me: "That wouldn't mean you wouldn't have quizzes on the material we're learning."

S1: "No, I know. But I still think it would help us."

Me: "We'll try it in January."

S2: "OK, trial. But if it doesn't work, can it stop?"

Me: "We'll start this in January, but I do think it's a good idea."


And I do think it's a good idea - for all my classes!

No comments:

Post a Comment