Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Addition to Teaching Tip #35



They know each other well. Even if you understand how they learn, they still see things from a peer's point of view which is essential to learning. And "differentiating" your lessons to appeal to all is EASY when you roll with the punches and go with the flow of their mindsets. And the feedback may produce more positive results.

Today, in a different class than from #35:

Most of class: "All I see are triangles.  I can't figure out what you're doing."

Student [Who should be a teacher]: "You need to do it in different colours like in the book."

*I do it, which helps, and I continue but while they see it & follow me, they don't understand how to get there*

S: "Do it like the book, with the letters."

*I feel dumb, knowing that this class loves to do letters, and forgetting.*

Me: "The problem is that I have to grayscale it for the review and test."

S: "highlight it then or colour it because they can't see it otherwise."


I know this class.  I know that they love colours and do have trouble visualizing things that aren't in front of them.  I felt very slow and not with it today.
And you know what?  I know I'm going to go through 20 review packets and 20 tests and highlight the figures for dilations.  Because while they understand the difference between P and P', they can't determine scale factors without understanding which colour. 

No comments:

Post a Comment