Sunday, November 27, 2011

Teaching Tip #33

Be Careful with What You Say


This goes along with the previous post, but is mostly geared towards the teacher's lounge.

Students hear things, sometimes in the most peculiar ways.  If you are talking about students in a negative way, they will know.  If you talk about certain personal issues/things, they will know.  If you talk about another staff member, they will know.

I am currently at a Catholic school.  I don't believe in abortion for many reasons but one of those is my religion.  I will say that.
When I was subbing at a public school, one of my students was doing a paper against abortion, except for extreme cases.  I didn't let her know it was against my religion, but gave other reasons so that she could have a base for her research.

I called my computer my baby once, and a student asked me if I had a child.  I showed them my ring finger (meaning I wasn't married).  That let her know that I don't plan on having children before marriage.
However, I don't come out and say "No, I don't believe in sex before marriage."

I know some teachers have been admonished for talking about getting trashed over the weekend.


Just, be mindful with what you say.

No comments:

Post a Comment